Purple is the new green:
Growcoon for hydroponic cultivation systems
As the use of hydroponic systems has increased considerably in recent years, growers are looking for additional solutions that will further improve plant cultivation in water.
The Growcoon is now the must-have system for hydroponic cultivation processes. Yielding numerous benefits, it speeds up the cultivation of high quality plants.
Press pot or plug
When working with a hydroponic system, young plants are required that have been raised either in a press pot or in a plug tray. Generally, plugs are strongly favoured, mainly because more growing media are needed for press pots than for plugs which need only be filled loosely.
The Growcoon combines the stable open net structure of a conventional mesh pot with a loosely filled, non-compacted substrate. This results in a perfect root environment for young plants and leads to faster growth – in some cases shortening growing time by up to three days.
There are no limitations that compromise root growth; no plastics have to be cut off, and the system water has no impairing effects, because the Growcoon does not absorb liquids. The Growcoon, including the plant’s root ball, can be disposed of as green waste, or be delivered together with the plant to customers.
Immediate improvements for hydroponics
Better root development
- Fast and unhindered rooting through
the open net structure
- The open net structure allows a higher oxygen
exchange stimulating a strong root growth
- Applicable in both Deep Floating System (DFS) and Nutrient Film Technique (NFT)
- Various sizes available to fit in any hydroponic system
- Easy handling with automatic dispenser system
- Optimal plug stability for automatic planting and spacing<
Top plant quality
- Shorter cultivation cycles
- Highly uniform plant growth
- Better establishment of young plants after transferring into the hydroponic system
- Perfectly stable plugs under wet growing conditions
- No contamination of the system water by the loosely filled substrate
Approved for organic growing
- Based on biodegradable polymers
- No harmful residues
- No pollution of crops with harmful substances
- Safe for plants, humans and environment
- SKAL listed, complies with the EU regulation for organic cultivation
Numerous benefits with the Growcoon
- Shorter growing cycles
- Robust plants
- Higher root ball stability
- Lower failure rates – especially with sensitive seedlings
- Compact and solid root ball
- Fast root growth
- Proliferation of hairy roots
- Easy sticking of cuttings due to loosely filled substrate
- Fits perfectly into trays due to consistent dimensions
- Easy to remove from the tray
- Easy selection and re-gapping for a quick dispatching process
- No damage of root balls or roots during transplanting
- Compactly stackable
- Large number of Growcoons per box / pallet
- Efficient transport facilitated
- Designed to fit perfectly into the tray cells
- The conical shape allows an extra oxygen buffer between Growcoon and tray cell
- Open net structure
- Use of loosely filled substrate
Systematic solutions with the Growcoon
What is Growcoon
Growcoon is a biodegradable plug with a stable but flexible open net structure. The Growcoon forms a stable root ball when used in combination with a high-quality seedling substrate.
Growcoon is the optimal system for all types of propagation methods. It proves to be particularly effective in sowing, rooting of cuttings, grafting and growing-on of young plants from tissue culture as well as in vertical farming and hydroponic systems.
The Growcoon is available in many different standard sizes and suitable for all common tray sizes. In addition, there is a special Growcoon range for hydroponics. So the Growcoon can be used in all established propagation systems and with different trays. Moreover, special sizes can be produced on request.
A dispenser specially designed for the Growcoon is offered by the Dutch company Maan Engineering. The dispenser is located upstream from the tray-filling machine and places the Growcoons automatically in trays. Alternatively, this can be done manually as well.
Growcoons are delivered compactly stacked in boxes. The dispenser de-stacks the Growcoons automatically and places a full row of Growcoons along the width of the tray.
Advantages of the dispenser:
- Automated de-stacking and placing of Growcoons in the tray
- Designed for different sizes of Growcoons thanks to the interchangeable dispenser unit
- Simple operation
- The dispenser can be included easily in your tray filling line
- High capacity, between 10,000 and 50,000 Growcoons per hour
Growing Media and Growcoon
Opening up a new era
More and more growers are switching to hydroponics for cultivating various vegetable crops, a trend caused by an increasing demand for safe food and residue-free cultivation. Currently, hydroponic systems are mainly used for growing leafy vegetables and herbs, but applications for other vegetables, for cut flowers and other crops are also being investigated intensively.
Special substrates for hydroponics
Klasmann-Deilmann is the world’s leading producer of growing media for commercial horticulture. Based on our experience with all kinds of cultivation systems, our wide substrate range offers tailor-made solutions for the use of Growcoon in hydroponics. All substrates haven proven themselves for the cultivation of vegetable young plants, leafy vegetables, herbs and many other crops.